Thursday 9 June 2011

-Music Videos on My Mind- Dr. Don Don’s King of the Stars


Oh, how the simplicity of a cool idea can work wonders, as is evinced by Prad Senanayake's video for Dr. Don Don's King of the Stars.

The video depicts four alien teenagers roaming the suburbs of Melbourne Australia, looking for suitable skate locations to waste time in. The skaters playing aliens are professional skateboarders and close friends, which gives the video a great sense of surreal naturalism.

Australian hip-hop is hardly world renowned, but producer Chasm (brains behind Dr. Dom Dom) has constructed a happy-clappy dance track that perfectly complements these hot summer nights. Some in Australia have compared Don Don to fellow Aussie scratchmasters The Avalanches, but in my opinion the latter were more adventurous in their sampling and arrangements than what Don is.

Still, it's a nice summer tune made all the better with a cracking video to boot.

10 comments:

  1. This is a very catchy dance tune! Perfect for summer. I really like the video as well. The makeup used for the aliens is awesome and the concept seems pretty unique.

    Although all this 90s flannel and skateboarding took me back to high school. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool tune with a fun video. I definitely have to put this on the iPod for my walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. I think I now have a crush on Mr. Bluedreads. And...This song is already stuck in my head!

    Ambersmouthwash

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great sound. I'm not familiar with Australian hip hop, but I adore this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all have good taste. The song is now getting better airplay here in the UK, all thanks to a dope video that works really well with the track. I think the American music market is too tough a place for a tune like this to break out, but I suspect you guys know more about that than me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard this before great song and video.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had a better way to communicate with you and didn't have to leave irrelevant comments on your posts (Apologies!) ... I did in fact wear that same outfit in Texas about 2 years back ... Very Proud Desi! :) Again sorry to post here! :) And thanks again, for coming back!

    ♥ from © tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who are these skates like what are there names??! Im completely love struck!!!

    ReplyDelete